The Jones's at No. 43

Saturday, May 05, 2007

At the Hairdressers ...

I decided it was finally time to get my hair highlighted. I had every intention of having it done while we were in the UK, however as we were so busy, I just never got around to it. So, I booked myself an appointment at one of the 5 star hotels here. I've never had my hair done there before, but I decided that as it is one of the most expensive hotels in Chennai, the salon couldn't be that bad!

I went into my appointment at 12 p.m and there was only one other lady in the salon having her hair done. So there were two of us (clients) and eight ladies working there! The other lady was just finishing as Edna (the lady doing my hair) started to put my foils in. When she left, I had four ladies stood around me watching everything Edna was doing. When I say they were stood around me, they were literally blocking me into the chair - they had no sense of personal space! They kept asking Edna questions about what she was doing and they were all trying to help by passing the foils and the brush etc. I was very relieved when two more ladies came into the salon as they had something else to occupy themselves with.

I have never understood people who enjoy going to get their hair done! I just find it a nuisance, but something that must be done every so often. I don't enjoy it and could think of lots of things I'd rather do with 2-3 hours of my time.

Anyway, another lady came into the salon and I think she must go there quite regularly as they all seemed to know her. She sat down and had her hair washed then she went over to another chair. She had one lady dyeing her hair, another lady giving her a pedicure, another lady doing her manicure and a fourth lady sitting right next to her talking to her. I couldn't believe it. Can you imagine getting that kind of service in the UK? Hair, pedicure and manicure all at the same time and four people waiting on you?! I guess India is just so different from the UK in many ways.

The result of my highlights was ok. Not as good as the UK, but then what can I expect for 20 pounds?










While I was there, I thought I might as well get my eyebrows threaded. For those of you who have never experienced this - it is most bizarre! It is done by knotting a piece of thread and creating a trap to pull the hair out from the root (see picture above). Does it sound painful? It's not the most comfortable thing I've experienced, but apparently much better than waxing or plucking. I can cope with the eyebrows but I don't know how anyone has their entire face threaded (which a lot of women do) - I don't think I could cope with the pain of that!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home