The Jones's at No. 43

Friday, April 27, 2007

London - Part Three (Local)

This morning (Friday) I decided I wasn't going to go out very far as I walked so much yesterday that my feet were still hurting this morning. So, I only walked out to the local shops (by the hotel) and to the Post Office.

While I was out I thought I would get something for dinner that we don't get in Chennai - very simple, but delicious - I got a French stick, pepperoni, cheese, coleslaw and a variety of crisps as well as things like pickled onions and homous. It is all so simple, yet living in the UK and always having the wide variety we do, it is so easy to take these simple things for granted!

Anyway, once I'd finished shopping I thought I'd better call Penri to tell him that I'd bought dinner (just in case he thought to pick something up on his way back). I went into a phone box to call him and just after I'd put all the shopping down at my feet and I was about to pick up the phone, someone tapped on the phone box behind me. I'm always very wary in London anyway, so I anxiously turned around and there was a man standing there. I felt a bit panicky but said to him "I won't be a minute" and he said "Are you working?" Well, you can imagine the thoughts going through my head - my instant reaction was "Do I look like a call girl?" but I said "No. I won't be long" and picked up the phone. There was no dial tone - then he tapped on the window again and said "Is it working?" I couldn't help but laugh out loud (and breathe a sigh of relief) and told him that 'no, the phone wasn't working'. He then walked away. Thinking about it afterwards (when I was walking back to the hotel) and even now it makes me chuckle.

Anyway, it is now late afternoon and Penri will be back from work soon so I am going to finish this post and write again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home