The Jones's at No. 43

Friday, April 27, 2007

London - Part Two (Shopping)
















Yesterday (Thursday) I decided to go shopping in central London. Penri left early for work and I relaxed and watched rubbish morning TV until 8.30 a.m. Then I got up and showered and dressed to go out. In preparation for my day of shopping I took with me, a small wheelie suitcase, this is a trick I learnt from my mum. It means that all the shopping I buy goes in one place and I don't have to carry it ... brilliant!

I started off in Oxford Street and walked all the way from Oxford Circus Station to Marble Arch. This may not sound like much but I walked it twice! Long story - basically I went to John Lewis and then walked on, but realised I'd forgotten to get something, so I walked all the way back again. Oxford Street was really busy - see photo above - nearly as bad as India!

Whilst walking I saw this sign ....
















I couldn't believe it - what a way to make money! It looked really nice inside. I wish they would introduce something like this in Chennai. For anyone who has ever been to India, you will know that you just do not use public toilets! It is not something you want to do. Hey, maybe I have found a niche in the market in Chennai!

Anyway, while I was walking up and down Oxford Street I was doing a very good job to avoid all the people standing on the side of the path trying to get money off you for one thing or another. However, this one lady stopped me by asking "What is your favourite TV show?" and after thinking about it, I couldn't actually name one. So, instead she asked "Well do you have a favourite film or musical?" As soon as she said 'musical' about 20 popped into my head. So I told her I liked loads but if I had to choose one I would probably choose 'Starlight Express'. She then asked me to sing one of the songs from it. I just looked at her and asked "Why?" She explained she was trying to get a job and as part of the interview they want to see if she is able to get people to talk to her. So, I stood there in the middle of Oxford Street and sang 'Next Time You Fall In Love' from 'Starlight Express' (which I thought was very brave of me - normally I'm not that courageous). When I finished, she smiled and thanked me. I then asked if I was being filmed for some hidden camera show and she laughed saying I wasn't (it wouldn't be the first time - I was caught out on 'Ant and Dec's Secret Camera Show' a few years ago). Anyway, that was that and I went on my way. I did notice that after walking away she tried to stop loads of other people, but no-one would stop - not one person!






















After finishing my shopping, I went on the tube to Ealing Broadway. I studied in Ealing and I haven't been back there since so I was curious to see it again. I had a wander round and then came back to the hotel. By the time I got back my feet were killing me! I certainly have done a lot of walking this last two weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home