The Jones's at No. 43

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Eating Out

So, it's been a while. Things here are going well and we seem to be finding our feet. Although we still make some errors in judgement. A perfect example ... the other day Penri met me from work on the ECR so that we could go out for a meal. It was early - only 6 o'clock - so we were looking round for a place that was open. There was one restaurant (I don't recall the name of it), which is above Spencer's Daily Supermarket. Penri persuaded me to try it, saying he had been there on his first week here in Chennai, so I agreed. When we went in we very obviously stood out from all the other customers. We were led to our table and given menus. I couldn't actually see anything I thought I'd like except for a vegetable korma so that's what I ordered. The service was terrible and when the food finally came (served on a banana leaf, which was cool) it was quite disgusting. I ate naan bread and the sauce from the korma. Penri had a South Indian meal called Thali, which he seemed to be able to eat. To put it into context of the standard of the meal - when the bill came it was £2.40 each!

We are very happy to have found a cool American restaurant here called Sparky's Diner. It was recommended to me by a friend and is well worth the 45 minute drive from our house to go for a proper burger and chips. They also serve Mexican food too, but so far we've been eating all the American stuff. The whole ambience of the restaurant makes it more enjoyable - the chef (who is American) has decorated it like a diner with the black and white chequered floor and knick-knacks from all over America. It's really nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home