The Jones's at No. 43

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

McDonalds has come to Chennai ...



Finally! McDonalds has opened in Chennai! We decided to take a trip over there yesterday to test it out and I was really looking forward to it. It's quite a drive from where we live - it's near to where Penri works - so it took us about 45 minutes to get there.

When we went in we looked at the menu. We knew there were no beefburgers because they don't serve beef because the cows are sacred, so I knew I couldn't have a Big Mac. However, I was very disappointed to discover that they also don't sell McDonalds milkshakes, apple pies or McFlurry ice cream. I mean What's a McDonalds without a milkshake?! And I LOVE those apple pies.

To make up for not having those - they have extra items on the menu! You can have a McAloo Tikki, which is a potato burger; or a Chicken Maharaja Mac (which Pen had and is like a spicy-ish chicken burger); or finally you can order a Paneer Salsa Wrap (paneer is a type of cheese they use here a lot). My thought was - why would I go to McDonalds to have Indian-influenced food?

I ended up having a McChicken Sandwich meal, which was very nice and I must admit tasted pretty similar to back home. It was just sad that their menu was so limited. I guess I'll just have to wait another four months till we leave here to enjoy a proper McDonalds meal.

3 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

McDonald's you say. haha That's America for you.

How are your food selections over there?

We have chicken meals here in the Philippines, I've been told it's one of the more unique foods available.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How were the fries!? Can't wait to try it out!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

The fries are good and the potato wedges are pretty good too! It's worth going to try it especially as it's so new here - it's a novelty still!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home