The Jones's at No. 43

Sunday, June 24, 2007

We left Pondicherry on Friday morning and drove back up towards Chennai. We decided to stop in Mahabilapuram as there are a few nice resorts there. On the way down south we had noticed a sign for a new beach resort called Fortune Chariot Resort and the billboard picture looked amazing, so we decided to try it out.

As we were driving back past the salt fields we were discussing what we thought the salt felt like and the process it went through after it left the field and before it hit the supermarket shelves. Interesting conversation, I know! Anyway, I asked Penri to stop at the next pile of salt that was near to the road so that I could have a look at it. A few minutes later there was a big pile not far from the roadside, so we stopped and I got out to go and take a look.

Between the road and the pile of salt there were all thorny bushes and Pen said he didn’t think I’d be able to get through, but as I was wearing my wedge flip flops, I was sure I’d be ok. It was hard work getting through as the thorns kept sticking to my clothes as I walked. Anyway, I made it through and picked up a pile of salt. It was really large chunky bits (like rock salt) and the pile was quite solid. Penri asked me to bring him a handful back to the car, so I picked up some and made my way back through the thorns.
We put the handful I brought into an envelope and put it in the glove compartment (and I’ve only just remembered it’s there)! Not really sure what we’re going to do with it – anyway – it’s a memento from our holiday.











Also on the road on the way back up north, we saw this billboard and I just had to take a picture of it because the message is very strange. They have this new law in Chennai about wearing cycle helmets and they are really clamping down on it with police stopping motorcyclists and fining them and signs being put up everywhere. Anyway, as you can see this sign not only warns against safe driving, but it talks about safe sex aswell.



We followed the signs and found the Fortune Chariot Resort. It seemed very nice, very new and very empty. They told us they were full and they only had Deluxe Cottages available. As the price was fairly steep, we decided to have a look around and see if the Temple Bay or Ideal Beach Resorts had any cottages available. Temple Bay had one but only for one night (and we wanted two) and Ideal Beach only had standard rooms available and Penri wanted a cottage. So, we decided to head back to the Fortune Resort.

We checked in and paid for the Deluxe Cottage and were then taken there in a golf cart which was fun! Because we had paid for the deluxe room, we were supposed to get a massage chair in the room, however it wasn’t there and the Assistant Manager who had taken us to our room asked us to just wait a minute and they would bring one in from the adjoining cottage. So, we sat there in an uncomfortable silence (me, Penri and the manager) waiting for one of the men to come and move the chair.

They opened up cottage number 20 next door and tried to bring this huge massage chair through the small adjoining door. There was no way it was going to fit through, so the manager asked us if we would consider moving into the cottage next door even though it wasn’t quite finished as there was a spare bed without a mattress there. We looked around and it seemed fine, so we said that would be ok.

The manager left and we showered (in the very cold water) changed and went and played table tennis. After which, we had some lunch which was delicious and then went for a swim. The pool at Fortune is the largest pool in Chennai and it is massive and very nice, although not very deep. We were both tired after our swim and being in the sun for a while so we went back to the room and had a nap.

When we woke up I wanted to use the Internet as there was an auction closing on ebay and I wanted to bid for something. The Internet wasn’t working so I decided to make a cup of tea and relax until Penri woke up. The kettle wasn’t working and neither was the fridge. When Penri woke up, I told him we should complain about the room as not only were none of the above things working, neither was the air conditioning control, the safe or the hot water. For the price we were paying, you don’t expect to have to ‘manage’.

We took my laptop and went to reception (to try and use the wireless Internet connection) and Penri spoke to the manager. He was very nice and suggested he move us to another cottage. Penri told him that when we checked in we were told there were no cottages available, however as it turns out there was one. So, while I struggled with the Internet connection (as even the wireless wasn’t working), Penri went to look at the other cottage.

The manager came back and I explained that the wireless Internet wasn’t working, so he let me use the computer in the office while I waited for Penri to come back. As it turns out I had already missed the auction on ebay anyway.

Penri came back, having moved all our stuff and we went and had some dinner. I had spaghetti bolognaise and Penri had a curry. The food was amazing. We went back to the room and slept. Penri woke up at midnight and reminded me that when we had gone for our swim earlier, because the safe wasn’t working, we had put our passports under the cushion of the sofa and now we had moved cottages and left them there. So, I had to phone reception and explain to the man that we needed someone to go over to our second cottage to retrieve our passports. Luckily, he was very understanding and said he would send someone over straight away.

So, we got settled into our third cottage in a day and started to relax and enjoy the holiday. We spent all our time playing table tennis, swimming and enjoying the food in the restaurant. When we swam on Saturday, we were only in the pool for about an hour, but Penri managed to get sun burnt on his back and neck. While I remember I have to include the sign from by the swimming pool – a few of the points made us laugh. Only in India do you have to put a bullet point about not spitting or urinating in the pool and the fact that the hotel won’t provide swimsuits!

Overall, we had a really nice stay at Fortune – very relaxing and a nice break away from Chennai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home