The Jones's at No. 43

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bad Day yesterday!




Yesterday (Saturday 29th September) was a bad day for me. I woke up early in the morning to go to the bathroom and saw that the air conditioner in our bedroom had leaked all over the carpet. That wasn't the worst part about it - my laptop charger was there sitting amongst the puddle of water! As you can imagine - it completely soaked into the adapter and it is now useless!

I got my main computer (not laptop) delivered back yesterday from the shop. They had been repairing it as the USB ports had all stopped working since we had a power surge. They told me they had put in four new USB ports. I was pleased because at least I still had a computer until I could replace the laptop charger. Anyway, I plugged in the computer and powered it up, but would you believe - none of the 10 USB ports on the computer were working?!

I phoned up the service number and tried to explain my problem. The man spoke to me as if I was a five-year old. He said "Madam, you have to switch the computer on". I explained that I'd done this. His next helpful tip was "You have to plug the mouse into the USB port", again through gritted teeth, I explained that I had done this. Then he suggested re-starting the computer which I had already done 3 times. I told him that I had tried all of this and none of the ports were working. His response to this was "Well, they were working when the computer left us yesterday". Again, I told him they were not working now. He told me to hold while he got a pen and paper to get my address so that someone could come out and fix it. I held, and held, and held. After 15 minutes they cut me off and then when I phoned back the line was busy. By now I was getting really frustrated!

I called my friend and asked her to phone them up and speak in Tamil to explain what I needed. She called me back 5 minutes later and said "The engineer will come out today and they will deliver you a new laptop charger also". Fantastic!

My mood was starting to lift as I was talking to a friend on the phone, but then as I reached over to get a tissue, my mobile (which had been balanced on my shoulder and pressed to my ear) fell and landed straight into the yoghurt I was eating. I fished it out and cleaned it all up but it's now not working! Luckily I still had my other mobile phone, so I was able to just move the sim card across, unfortunately, I lost nearly all my contacts as they were saved on the phone (not the sim card)!

Anyway, at about 5 p.m the engineer arrived, he couldn't fix the computer there and then so he took it away, but I have a new laptop charger! So, I am back on the net and feeling good that all is not lost!

Today has been much better. Got up at 10 and have been surfing the net, updating blog, answering e-mails etc since then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home