The Jones's at No. 43

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Piano

Yesterday (Wednesday 16th) I phoned the music shop (again) to enquire about hiring a piano and the man said ‘Yes, I have one in stock for hire’. I couldn’t believe it – I have been ringing there twice a week for the last five weeks and he didn’t even think to ring me and say he had a piano. So, I hung up the phone in shock and said to my mum the guy said he has a piano. She said ‘Let’s go see it now’ – this was at 5 o’clock so we phoned the music shop again and they said they close at 8 so off we went. We got into a rick that looked like it would collapse at any moment … there was a hole in the back (where the window should be), the seat was not attached to the car and the driver was a lunatic! But, with the piano in mind and no other ricks about (due to rush hour) we got in. During the trip to Anna Salai (or Mount Road), which was about a half an hour drive we kept hearing this noise ‘beep, beep, beep, beep’ and I said to my mum ‘what is that?’ She told me it was his speedometer telling him he was driving over the speed limit … that’s how crazy his driving was! When we got out at the music shop both my mum and I both felt dizzy! We had a look at the upright piano, it was really nice, but it wasn’t a proper piano … let me explain – they had taken all the hammers and strings out and made it a digital piano using the actual piano keys. It’s really quite cool and I liked playing it so we signed a contract there and then! On the way home (in the same rick) I saw a sight that I have never seen before (and will probably never see again). There was a motorbike driving on the left of us with two men on it and in between them was a goat – I ‘kid’ you not (geddit?!) – bleating away and obviously not very happy. He was squashed in between the two blokes with his two front legs over one side of the seat and two back legs over the other. I felt so sorry for him! When my mum and I kept looking at them, well more like staring, the driver of the motorbike was laughing and smiling at us. Only in India! Can you imagine driving a motorbike down the M4 with a goat on the back?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home